Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2018

New Trinket...

I got a really cool thing in the mail today, Oddlings!
(Well I ordered it and I knew it was coming, but still very cool.)
Cool & shiny wrapper encasing the awesomeness

     In June of 2016, I discovered this really neat online store called Dead on Paper.  This online shop sells custom-designed coins and playing cards.  They also sell prints of their designs.

     I believe, I discovered this shop during one of my rabbit hole searches for hobo coins.  Hobo coins are an art form of altering images on metal coins, oftentimes, nickels because of their size, thickness, and softness.  While the coins designed on this site are not actual hobo coins, but representations of this art form, they are gorgeous works of art.

     A couple days ago Dead on Paper released their second series of hobo coin designs.  Naturally, I wanted all of them.  However, I do like to pace myself.  So this time, I chose The Davey Jones Locker Coin.  This one was designed after the 1919 S Wheat Penny.  But don't let that fool you, these coins are a little larger than US Dollar coins and weigh about as much as 5 US quarters.  Each coin comes in 4 different finishes: Antique Silver, Antique Bronze, Solid Copper, and Antiqued Brass Plated Steel.  I had a hard time deciding between the antique bronze or the solid copper.  Seriously, it took me like an hour going back and forth between pictures to decide.  In the end, I really like the design in solid copper.  I envisioned giving it a green faux patina...we'll see.

The Davey Jones Locker Hobo Coin: Front

The Davey Jones Locker Hobo Coin: Back
     When I bought my first coin in 2016 I knew I needed something to protect it and to allow me to show it off.  While I haven't built the perfect showcase yet, I did find the perfect protection case on Amazon.com.  The Air-Tite Holder H39 fits this 39mm, 10 gauge coin perfectly and is very inexpensive.  I immediately bought another coin holder when I ordered my new coin.  Pictured further below are my coins inside this coin holder.

Air-Tite Coin Holder H39

     As a collector of the strange and unusual ("for I, myself am strange and unusual") I feel these beautifully crafted coins are perfect additions to my hoard.

Left: Front of Antique Bronze Oracle Coin bought in 2016
Right: Front of Solid Copper Wheat Penny Coin bought in 2018

Left: Back of Antique Bronze Oracle Coin bought in 2016
Right: Back of Solid Copper Wheat Penny Coin bought in 2018

     Well, I hope you enjoyed my little Show-and-Tell.  Until next time my fine peculiar friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment